Saturday, September 24, 2011

Shekhar and other friends got placed



It was the most memorable day. I was returning to the room after my exam. It was a tedious TOM paper. Still I was in good mood because I had found it very easy and I was happy like a lark. As I neared the room, I saw Shekhar and Swapnil coming hand-in-hand. As they both were from Sakharwadi, they obviously had stuck to their phone calls like they were CEOs of a multinational company. In our hostel, there are some people who are from Sakharwadi who follow some serious behavioral dogma. Like they will attend at least 10 phone calls a day and will boast of it as they like people.I started walking with them. After Shekhar finished his phone call he had a beeeg smile on his face. I asked the reason. He said “ I got placed in Accenture.”  I had no words to congratulate him. After all , his dream had come true. Soon we came to our room.He said, “Shrikant had two-two options. Accenture and Infosys.”“And don’t say he chose Accenture out of them” I said with frowns on my forehead. “Hahaha of course he chose Accenture”, Shekhar said.“Whaat? But why did he leave Infy? It’s such a good company!” I said.“Ya I know but they make you work like you work on daily wages. And on the other hand, Accenture, which is a multi-national company and you have a good growth pattern there!” he said with an attitude like a veteran employee there.I was totally uncomprehended about the situation. I said ”ok I donno much of it”I said but I was still thinking of the salary package he got. It was 3 lakh bucks! Altogether! And my dearest friend was going to earn that. It was a strange feeling. I was still dreaming of it. Lucky guy!Swapnil said “oh, don’t you think you deserve a nice bump session right now. I know it would have been a great fun with all guys here like, Shrikant himself, Kalpit, Mayur and all. Come Pushkar. “He invited me and leaned forward and held his legs. Shekhar stood on his bed. Swapnil was still struggling for holding his legs together, till then I joined him and held Shekhar’s hands. He surrendered. A little snatch and he fell down on his bed. I and Swapnil fetched him on the floor. Swapnil held his legs while I held his hands together and we both lifted him up till his bumps were accessible and started kicking it hard. He yelled like anything. We all were having fun. I felt like capturing this video because after certain time I was going to miss this all. The guys were going to leave. I felt uneasy of the thought of being parted. It was totally unbearable.We left him there on the floor. And we all sat on our beds. Laughing and enjoying the moment. These two dear trustworthy bastards were going to leave after all. These three years of life were just unforgettable. All memories flashed in front of me. It all felt like yesterday we have met each other. It never felt like three long years! My friends with whom I lived this long were going to leave?  The bloody rascals with whom I used to fight over a plate of Maggie which used to be made of last ten rupees left in the pocket were leaving to earn in lacs? The friends who shared everything with me from clothes to toothpaste, hair oil, pen drives, laptops, bags… etc etc etc.. Were leaving as some industry professionals? Hey, this felt like crazy! “When are you going to join your jobs?” Swapnil was asking Shekhar.“Joining will be in September – November. And after that we’ll be having a training of six months. We’ll be getting only eight thousands for the training”“Eight thousands per month or eight thousands as a whole for eight months?” I interrupted him.Everybody laughed. Shekhar went on laughing and laughing and I found his eyes were wet.“Innocent question” he said and kept mum.I suddenly remembered an incidence. Once there was no money at all with anybody. We all were hungry. And there wasn’t any mess. All we could do was to go to a hotel and eat. But there was no money with anybody at all. Shrikant then went to landlord and borrowed some 200 rupees and we ate that day. I wiped my eyes. And even if we wanted to buy something to eat we bought bananas because only they came in good quantities in less amounts. There were lots lots of incidences like this. Like I borrowed 700 rupees from a teacher to fill up my exam form, Shekhar borrowed some 5000 rupees from shrikant to go to a trip with his friends. I remembered them all.  These all money problems were going to be solved finally.But it was getting difficult for me to get used to the idea of being parted. I repeat it never felt like 3 long years. Yesterday we had met each other and this one day had changed everything. Till yesterday it was different and from tomorrow onwards it was going to be different. There would not be any teasing, cracking cheap jokes, and hitting those Devdas dialogues at each other. There would not to be such a trustworthy place to open each and every secret. There wouldn’t be any last-10-rupees-left-and-what-to-buy-of-it discussions. There wouldn’t be any Chiwda or Maggie Daawat. There were thousands of such things-to-be-missed. I remember the day when I first met all these guys and shared a formal smile. We never had thought the things will come up to this point. I felt a lump in my throat.Still there are 6 months for that acrimonious moment when those bastards will come and say- “time to go man….”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pushkar Kamble.

My facebook